Origin of Spaces DOODle – Day 1
Multidisciplinary CoWorking – Lead Partner LXFactory Lisboa
Summary; Our lead partner describes its’ own Multidisciplinary CoWorking as follows;
LXFactory, a “factory of ideas and creativity”, is a private endeavour located in Alcantara Lisboa, owned by MainSide, a foresighted property developer specialised in (re)use and revitalisation. Transformed from a factory into a new space, where heritage lives alongside tech and creative start-ups, LxFactory has 25000 square metres, holds 200 companies, employing 1000 people and 100 coworkers, in multiple sectors ranging from culture, design, fashion and advertising to trade, technology and commerce, etc.
However LxFactory is more than just joined up organisations and individual independent workers sharing space and collaborating, it is a community of projects, ideas, coworkers and visitors, within that space. Accordingly, LxFactory’s strategy is deliberately flexible. Dedicated project analysis enabling autonomy and self-organisation, allowing each project to adapt and manage the space to suit its specific concepts, are key elements. This provides a unique environment accommodating a wide range of needs and attracting many promising and talented projects, Ler Devagar, CoworkLisboa, Cantina, Wool, etc., which have become icons of a strong local grass-roots culture.
Events such as the OPEN DAYS (Sunday’s LxMarket street market for handicraft, second hand and vintage), conferences such as OFFF, IGNITE, and numerous seminars, fashion exhibitions, music concerts and book launches etc., attract visitors and future projects whilst promoting networking and collaboration, and the international name of LxFactory.
Key Points in Multidisciplinary CoWorking (at LxFactory)
- Factory of ideas and creativity
- Private endeavour
- Foresighted property developer specialised in (re)use and revitalisation.
- Transformed industrial (factory) space,
- Heritage lives alongside tech and creative start-ups
- Joined up organisations and individual independent workers
- Sharing space and collaborating,
- Community of projects, ideas, coworkers and visitors…
- Flexible strategy
- Dedicated project analysis enabling autonomy & self-organisation
- Attracting many promising and talented projects
- Open days promoting networking and collaboration
Key Aspect of MultiDisciplinary CoWorking at LxFactory is point 3 “Foresighted property developer specialised in (re)use and revitalisation”
Questions for discussion
- Are these the 12 key aspects of MultiDisciplinary CoWorking?
- What points would you like to know more about?
- Do you have your own MultiDisciplinary CoWorking project and do you have any information about it to share with us?
- Do you know of any other useful information about MultiDisciplinary CoWorking?
Wikipedia definition of CoWorking. Fernando defines “multidisciplinary (co)working spaces” as “unique grassroots spaces that host different types of individuals and organizations, working independently in different areas such as; creative, cultural, social, technology-based, leisure, commerce, food-services etc… Over time multidisciplinary (co)working spaces may evolve beyond shared and collaborative space to become working / living communities”
Background Information on the Origin of Spaces project in the presentation CoCreating CoWorking Spaces
As our partner ZAWP says; Share your practice with us!